Contact Us Today! 254-634-8600



                Texas requires a will in order for a decedent <define> to dictate the distribution of his or her estate. If a decedent doesn't have a will, his or her property will be distributed to his or her heirs. This is called intestacy.

What is a Will?

                A Will is a document that, at its core, simply states how a person's property will be distributed when he or she dies and who is responsible for paying the debts and distributing the property. There are several items that should be included in a person's Will to make it easier for the Executor <define> (the person tasked with administering the decedent's estate) to do his or her job.

Elements of a Valid Will –



                Signed; and


Do I need a Will?

                Not necessarily. Sometimes a person can dictate how to distribute his or her property when they pass without having a Will. Sometimes it's a better course of action to avoid probate at all. It is imperative that speak with an attorney to determine the best way to accomplish what you want. An incorrect decision now can potentially be very costly for your loved ones.

What if I die without a Will?

                Dying without a Will is called Intestacy <define>. If a decedent is intestate, the Court must determine who his or her heirs are and then the property is distributed to those heirs. Some assets can pass to the next without a Will. Life Insurance proceeds, bank accounts with designated paid-on-death beneficiaries, real property with a Transfer-on-Death or a “Ladybird Deed”, and a variety of other assets. These are not automatic. Again, it is imperative that you speak to an attorney if you intend on trying to avoid probate. Too often people who own real estate or have some money in a bank account die without a will and it costs more to determine who the heirs are than the property is worth. With a little planning you could save your loved ones a lot of money and heartache.

Important Considerations in a Will –

Independent or Dependent Administration



                Power to Sell


Appointing Guardian of Minor Children