Contact Us Today! 254-634-8600

Termination of Paternity

The mother just told me the child may not be mine, what can I do?

This happens more often than one would think. Two common scenarios:

  1. Wife steps out of the marriage and has a fling with someone else. She becomes pregnant, but never tells her husband that the child isn't his. Later, she tells him in anger that the child, now older, isn't his child.
  2. Man and woman are in a relationship. Woman sleeps with another man, but tells her boyfriend the child is his. He believes her and signs the Acknowledgement of Paternity.

Do either of these cases sound familiar? Not sure what to do? You should immediately call an attorney. Texas Family Code Section 161.005 sets specific deadlines and criteria for termination of the parent-child relationship in these scenarios. If you find yourself in a situation similar to those above, call The Tisdale Law Firm at (254) 634-8600 to schedule a free consultation with an attorney to discuss your options.